Garbage / Chipper Services
The City has 5-year contract with Republic Services expiring on August 31, 2022. Here are the benefits of the new contract:
- Residents will see an approximate 4.5% decrease in their bill over the 5-year period.
- Seniors will receive a 10% discount with verification.
- There will be 2 E-Waste Collection Days per year (residents will be notified of the dates, time, and location). View the new contract.
Residential Garbage Pickup
Residential Garbage Pickup for the Entire City is on Thursday.
The City of Palos Heights has a contract with Republic Services for the collection and disposal of solid waste from all single-family residences within the corporate limits, except for condominiums and multi-unit buildings. Residents are billed on a six-month cycle. Businesses may contract a waste hauler of their choice.
Senior citizens, age 65 and older, can receive a 10% discount by completing the form and sending it directly to Republic Services.
Residents have the option of a 90 gallon or 65 gallon recycling toter. Residents who require an additional toter can obtain one for a one-time charge of $25 by calling Republic's customer service department at 708-385-8252. Recycling is picked up every other week. View the recycling calendar (PDF).
Yard Waste pick-up runs from April 1st through November 30th. Kraft paper bags of degradable material may be used in place of or in addition to the can system. Such bags, when filled, must not exceed forty-five gallons in capacity or 35 pounds, which is greater, and must be capable of being carried and loaded without breakage. Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Christmas Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day
- New Year's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
In the event a holiday falls on a weekday, refuse, yard waste, and recyclable collection services shall be delayed one day and picked up on Friday.
For more information or questions, please contact Republic Services at 708-385-8252 or visit the website.
Begins the first week of April and ends the last week of October. The chipper truck starts on the west side of town and works it way through the City. Depending on the amount of branches, it may take more than a week to make through the entire City. Please be patient, especially in the spring or after a storm. Place branches in the parkway in front of your house with the stub end facing the street. Small branches can be placed into yard waste cans or bags to be removed by the garbage service.
Recycling Information and Other Recycling Options
- City Hall and Lake Katherine have recycling bins for ink cartridges, cell phones, and eye glasses.
- Lake Katherine has recycling bins for paper/cardboard; cans, glass and bottles; clothing; and textiles.
- Old and unused prescription and non-prescription drugs can be dropped off at the Police Department or placed in the disposal box at City Hall.
- Visit Earth911 to find recycling locations near you for specific products.